How to Pray for Ministries and Tips to Get Involved
Once you’ve decided what charity to support, your next step is figuring out exactly what that support looks like. Like all ministries, we couldn’t accomplish what we do at Set Free if it weren’t for the donations we receive from our generous supporters. Yet, there is also something deeply powerful about joining forces in prayer, time, and our unique skills to make an impact in the lives of others.
How to Pray for Ministries
“How can we be praying for you?” Ask anyone that works in ministry, and they will tell you this is one of their favorite questions to be asked. Of course, all prayer is powerful, but being in prayer over specific parts of a ministry not only keeps you informed but it opens the door for a connection based in faith; faith that God is working through you and through that organization for His glory. Then, when you see those prayers come to fruition, you get to feel the impact on a more personal level than you ever could otherwise. Here are a couple of helpful tips to keep in mind when you’re praying for the ministry you support:
- Ask – send an email or make a call to the charity and ask them how you can be praying. Keep a page in your notebook or Bible dedicated to those specific prayers and be reminded of them when you find yourself in prayer and spending time with God.
- Follow up – whether it’s an on-going prayer or a prayer over a specific event, make sure you follow up with the ministry and see how things are going. That may even open the door for continued prayers and will keep you informed on the progress of the ministries efforts and what they may be planning for in the future.
- No Prayer is Too Big – there are times we feel like our prayers are inconsequential when a mission is so big. But that’s the farthest thing from the truth. Being in specific prayer for a ministry can help you see just how impactful our prayers can be.
Tips to Get Involved
Donating your time and skills is another crucial way to support a charity. God gave each of us unique and important skills and we all have something to bring to the table. Whether it’s something exciting like going on a medical mission trip to Liberia with Set Free, coming alongside staff and volunteering at events, or something mundane like helping to stuff mailers – it’s all important and a ministry couldn’t function without it. When considering these helpful tips to getting involved, remember this verse:
“There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kids of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God working all of them in all men. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.” – 1 Corinthians 12:1-7
- Consider Your Gifts – what skills do you have, where does your heart lie, how can you make a difference? Do any of these align with what the ministry you support is already doing?
- Ask a Staff Member for an Events Schedule – chances are there at least a couple of events scheduled for the year and if you are local then you can help! Mark them on your calendar, ask what the specific need is for each event. Does prep work need to be done? Being a greeter at the door? Not only are these incredibly appreciated, but it gives you a chance to get an inside look at the workings of the ministry, form relationships with staff, and probably even get more personalized information about what is going on.
We hope these tips prove helpful for you as you begin to think through how you’d like to partner with the charity you’ve chosen to support. Your partnership through prayer and willingness to help where and how you can is crucial to a successful ministry and is greatly valued.