How to Choose a Charity to Support
With 1.5 million charitable organizations in America alone, it can be overwhelming when thinking about where to focus your support. It’s a big decision to choose an organization to entrust with your hard-earned money and time. That’s definitely not something to take lightly.
We want to provide you with all of the resources you need to make your informed decision on what charity to support financially, whether it’s through a one-time gift, monthly giving, corporate giving, or even through your time, prayers, etc. The more you know and see, the more you can trust who you’re giving your money to and that the cause you are supporting is being carried out.
Here are 5 Helpful Tips for Choosing a Charity to Support:
- Decide where you want to see your impact made. Do you want to make an impact in your local community? Or does your passion to help lie overseas?
- Narrow down the issues you want to focus on. Are you passionate about ending world hunger? Global warming? Or what about the world water crisis or child slavery?
- Do your research. Once you’ve narrowed down the issues you want to focus on and make an impact around, you’ll want to dive deeper. Check out the organization’s website, read their annual report, look over their financials for the previous year to see exactly where your money is going, and best of all? Give that organization a call or visit their office if they have a location near you. See the faces behind the work. Hear the stories. See the passion and a glimpse at the work being done first-hand.
- Explore their core beliefs. Once you’ve done some additional digging, you will probably get a better idea of what those charities core beliefs are. Make sure those align with yours. These core beliefs should make up the foundation of a charity and be the base on which everything else is built.
- Consider the additional ways to get involved with a charity and if they align with what you’re looking for. Think beyond your dollar impact – if you find yourself at a point where you don’t have the same funds to donate, are there other ways for you to continue to make a difference in the lives of others?
We value the importance of taking special care in selecting the legacy you want your life to leave – and charity support is an important part of that for so many people. We hope these tips prove helpful for you as you make the decision on which charity to support through your finances, prayers, and time. At Set Free, we are always thankful for the opportunity to be considered in that decision.
You Might Also Like: